Well Hello There.......

Ok so this is me- blogging! I do everything else so why not this! Welcome to my blog and hope you enjoy the shennanigans!

Total Pageviews

Monday 7 February 2011

Day 21

My Miracle- Champix
Well, I have been resisting blogging about this- did not want to tempt fate- but I think....I really think I have GIVEN UP SMOKING!!! Yes, a miracle has indeed occurred...thanks to Champix/ Chantix as it's called in the US of A! For those of you who don't know Champix is a tablet you take that takes away the pleasure of smoking! It's supposed to be a prescription only drug but you can buy it over the counter here in Dubai- it's pricey- 198 AED for the starter pack of 2 weeks and 444 AED for the month packs....but so worth it!

I never thought it would work- I have tried nicotine gum before and cold turkey but never went more than 3 days without caving! I have smoked for 15 years and was up to 3 packs a day- yes I know terrible, terrible! (OK have just noticed too many exclamation marks- will stop it already with them.)

So today is Day 21.... without a cigarette- was lucky to be able to go 21 minutes without a fag before. Today is a special day for me and probably why I have been counting the days- as it apparently takes 21 days to make or break a habit- and da der here I am.

I haven't really had cravings for nicotine as such- I have just had routines in my life where I would stop and have a fag- on the phone, driving, after a meal, break from work, with a glass of wine, first thing in morning, last thing at night- all a total ritual really. I was once told that I used cigarettes as a punctuation mark in my daily life- I guess that was right!

So I have been focussing on getting new habits- or distractions from the old one anyway- lollipops have helped, licorice sticks, baby carrots, grapes, drinking loads of cups of tea and lots of water... sweeping the floor a lot (it's been dusty here), doing too much washing, painting my nails, watching way to much TV- but thank you Lie To Me and Tim Roth- you were a great distraction- anything to take my mind off- you only need to distract yourself for 5 mins and the wanting goes away.

I think I have almost forgotten I was a smoker now....which is a hard thing to say after them being my prop and side kick for the last 15 years!

People ask me do I feel any different? Well, I am not bounding around with the joys of Spring yet- the fatigue should wear off soon but I can smell and taste things more, my singing voice is much clearer, I get dizzy a bit when I stand up as apparently my brain is not used to so much oxygen in my blood! I have amazing dreams- that's a common side effect from the Champix- I was worried as I thought they meant nightmares but they aren't they are just really involved dreams. I have put on weight but that is my own lazy ass fault- the exercise started today- can't focus on changing everything at once so was not beating myself up too much about it- was focussing all my energy on not smoking- so fags kicked- tick next is weight!

I really don't want to become one of those sanctimonious reformed smokers- they used to drive me mad and before the more someone nagged me the more I wanted a cigarette... but I do want to give hope that it is possible! I followed all the instructions properly with Champix- you start the tablets and continue to smoke and you select a date between day 8 and day 14 for giving up and work towards that. I started cutting down almost immediately I started taking the tablets- from 3 packs to 1 pack in 3 days and had picked Day 10 to give up totally- actually did it on Day 8 though. I have to take for 3 months in total which is fine.

I had been reading that the tablets have been alleged to possibly cause depression and suicidal thoughts in some rare cases- so I warned all my friends and family to keep an eye on me and what I was saying just in case- but I reckon if you know there's a possible side effect you can deal with it... like if all of a sudden I was eyeing the knives in the kitchen drawer I would be like arrrggghhh it's the tablets there's nothing wrong with your life- if you get what I mean! Had a close call with my Mum though as she sent me a text asking how things were- I replied it's a bit gloomy- she freaked thinking I was depressed- I just meant the weather- it was bit a dark outside cos there had been a storm here- whoops sorry Mum- hahahah!

So thanks for all the support from those of you who know me- and if this spurs anyone on to quit- believe me if I can do it- you can do it!

There is a really great article of what the effects of giving up smoking are here http://hubpages.com/ I found this page really interesting and packed full of useful info.

And if you want to visit the Chantix official website go here

Well it's nearly Day 22 so now so time for bed and thanks for reading! Putting it out on here makes me feel likes it's true- I AM A NON SMOKER!!! YAY!

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to say am on Day 58 or something- and am still going strong! :)

    ReplyDelete