Well Hello There.......

Ok so this is me- blogging! I do everything else so why not this! Welcome to my blog and hope you enjoy the shennanigans!

Total Pageviews

Sunday 6 February 2011

Mmmm........... Match.com

So I have been single for some time- am fine with it- but would just really like to have a boyfriend- someone to spend time with and share things with. It's soooo hard in Dubai- especially as it is inhabited by fembots and glamazons- not that I am ugly- well I hope not- but there are a heck of a lot of 20 something, stick thin, 5 foot 8, short- dress- wearing, super tanned, blonde, cookie- cutter fembots here! I ain't 20 something, am not stick thin, have a brain hahahha....etc. etc. you get the score!

FEMBOTS!!!! ME NOT ONE!
When I first moved here way back when I joined Match.com and there was a lot of choice on there at that time and I went on a few dates.....scammers hadn't been invented then......in the end I long term dated one guy- and he did propose- I said no- and am still close friends today with another- so all in all it was ok- then the site got blocked and that was the end of that!

Fast forward 9 years- have had a wee bit of a drought so I thought "Hey let's see if Match.com is still blocked?"- and lo and behold it wasn't. So I signed up for the free element of it- which is ok but you can't contact anyone or read any emails you get- so after a couple of weeks I got an email from them offering 25% discount so have decided to fully join. OK, so did that, paid the dosh and then thought oh gosh wait a minute should have checked out some reviews first- too late- money was spent! Apparently the site is full of a lot of romance scammers and the like- oh dear! Well at least forewarned is forearmed I suppose- plus it gives me something to write about on here!

OOOH REALLY? I DON'T BELIEVE YOU!
So far have had a few very obviously scammer emails and also from members whose profiles are removed by Match before I can even check them out- so they must be scammers. Anyway one dude seems genuine- so I emailed back- I am not 100% sure yet whether he is a scammer or not yet...here are the red flags to watch out for that can also be found on the website Romance Scams here but to sum up:

1. Want to leave the original website and get on Yahoo chat as soon as possible
2. Say they are soldiers from US stationed in Iraq/ Afghanistan read more about the soldier romance scam here. It's an article in today's Daily Mail- apparently the African fraudsters make £80 million pounds a year from it!
3. Ask you for money- any money for any reason
4. Say they love you v v v quickly!
5. Say they want to visit you- if they are in another country
6. Really bad grammar and english
7. No knowledge of where they say they live
8. Start talking about God helping them to find you
9. Have a sick child/ mum/ sister etc!
10. Totally forget what you told them in the last chat you had- that's because they are on to so many people or it's somebody new from the gang now talking to you!

By the way men get scammed as well as the ladies! And the profile photos you see are on the dating sites are stolen off the net- those poor people whose pics they use- must be a nightmare!

So this guy now...let's call him Marco........let's see how he fares-

1. He's American based in Afghanistan as a body guard- eek red flag!
2. He wanted to go on Yahoo chat- I said no- red flag!
3. Not mentioned money yet!
4. No love yet- but this is only chat one so let's wait and see!
5. Said he spends his time off in Dubai- eeek- so let's see if I get asked for ticket money!
6. English ok- some typos but nothing too chronic yet
7. He has local knowledge- I asked about weather, and the weekend there and whether they can get booze- he answered all correctly- but he could have been googling.
8. No God as of yet!
9. No sickness mentioned!
10. Chat one- so no comment!


Red Flags- 3 out of 10- will let you know more! Am not getting a good feeling about this now actually!

Another fabulous website about scammers is www.419eater.com this is a community of people who particpate in baiting the scammers- revenge is theirs! I am not suggesting for a minute that you do this- but the site makes a good read!! I think the funniest thing on there is the pictures they have got the scammers to take with silly slogans on cards- maybe I am just warped hahahhah!

Pic from Daily Mail @sam Furlong SWNS.com
I know I may be laughing a lot at this phenomenon- but I actually it's not really funny- real people who are not as internet savvy as some of us- get their hearts broken and lose their life savings- so if I can help spread the word and raise a smile at the same time- job's a good un!

My advice- if you are unsure about anything at all- any email or anything you are not sure about- bank emails, prize emails, texts, long lost friends needing money, lost kid appeals, chain letters, weather warnings- anything at all- google it- it's all there on the web for you! Check out www.snopes.com for the best scam and urban legend database....keep safe and savvy out there!

1 comment:

  1. It was really nice to study your post. I collect some good points here. I would like to be appreciative you with the hard work you have made in skill this is great article. free dating sites

    ReplyDelete